Friday, July 29, 2011

SUYL

Over at Kelly's Korner today it's time again for Show Us Your Life.  I'm linking up today to talk about "Best Parenting Advice".

Are you done laughing?

I realize that I have been a parent for just under 11 months and I'm 100% certain that I have no business writing about this subject.  However, over the past 11 months I would like to think that I've at least picked up a thing or two.  I'll touch on a few things I've learned.

Pray.  Start and end the day with prayer.  I remind myself every night as I'm holding Tenley, her head on my shoulder that she's not ours.  God has trusted Mike and I with her and it's our responsibility to raise her to honor and glorify Him.  Sometimes that seems overwhelming.  That's where prayer comes in.

Every child is different.  I asked so many questions to my friends and family the first few months of Tenley's life.  What did I learn from those questions?  Everyone has advice, tricks and ideas of what will work.  But the truth is- no one has another Tenley.  She's one of a kind and what works with another child might not work with her.  This whole parenting thing is a lot of trial and error.

Put the Guilt to rest.  I learned very early on that breastfeeding was not for me.  I felt extremely guilty about this and it caused so much stress that I'm sure Tenley could sense it.  It's not for everyone.  Tenley seems to be adjusting just fine and we still have just as strong of a bond.  I'm not worried that I have wrecked my child just because I couldn't breastfeed.

Most of all I've learned to not doubt myself.  I'm her mother.  We know what's best for her.  And we do everything and make every decision in love.  It might not always be the right one, but that doesn't mean we didn't do it with the best of intentions.  Ask questions, weigh the options, but in the end- stick with your gut.  You carried this child for 9 months.  You know him/her.  Don't doubt that connection.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm visiting from Kelly's Korner! I just wanted to let you know how wonderful I think it is that you have discovered these three important steps of parenthood after only 11 months. It took me a LOT longer than that, and is still a work in progress :-) Blessings to you and your beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through SUYL. These little words of advice are true. As a Mommy to 8 children I think you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these suggestions and have found them to be true!

    ReplyDelete